organize your move, print this page, keep it handy, and check it off
as you go.
to 10 Weeks Before Your Move:
- Select an agent to perform your move and make arrangements
for moving day. (Avoid peak periods for moving, if possible. The
first few days and the last few days of the month are times when
everyone wants to move.)
- Contact the chamber
of commerce or visitor's bureaus in your new community for
information on your new city.
- Contact the IRS and/or
your accountant for information on what moving expenses may be tax-deductible.
- Remove items from your attic, basement, storage shed,
- Start to use up things you can't move, such as frozen
foods and cleaning supplies.
to 6 Weeks Before Your Move:
- Conduct an inventory. Decide what to move and what
not to move.
- Make arrangements for your trip (hotel/airline reservations,
drive routing, etc.).
- Schedule a moving sale for items you won't move. Donate
other items to charitable organizations (ask for a receipt for tax
- Arrange for packing. Your North American agent can
make these arrangements and provide special packing cartons.
- Gather your personal records: medical, dental, school,
birth, baptism, marriage, etc. Send transcripts of your school records
in advance to the new school.
- Close local department store and other local charge
- Arrange with employer to forward tax withholding forms.
- Locate all motor vehicle registration and licensing
documents and check the auto
licensing requirements for your destination.
- Make arrangements to discontinue (current location)
and commence (future location) the following services:
Water softener service
Electricity (check for refund)
Gas service (check for refund)
Fuel or oil delivery
Other household services
- Mail change of address cards to:
Social Security office
Friends and relatives
Mail order accounts
2 to 3 Weeks Before Your Move:
- Fill, transfer and pack prescriptions for family and
- Arrange for shipments of plants and pets. Get immunization
records for pets.
- Safely dispose of or give away all flammables (paints,
paint removers, etc.) as they will be impossible to move.
The Week Before Your Move:
- Defrost refrigerator and freezer, plus allow air-drying
to prevent mildew. Arrange for disposal of frozen foods (sell, give
away, or eat).
- Clean oven.
- Transfer/close checking and savings accounts.
- Drain fuel and oil from lawnmowers and other power
- Drain garden hoses.
- Pack items to be carried in car. Label "Do Not
- Gather valuables from safe deposit box, drawers, jewelry
cases, personal records. Pack safely to take with you.
- Send clothing, draperies, curtains, rugs out for cleaning
and leave in wrapping. Take down curtain rods, shelves, TV antenna.
- Have car serviced for trip and have proof of insurance
back to top
- Remember to pack a box of the basics you'll need on
move-in day (tools, paper products, all-purpose household cleaners,
etc.). Be sure to have it loaded last so that it will be first off
at your new home.
- Pack suitcases for trip.
- Remove all bed linens.
- Be available to check items on inventory sheet.
- Conduct a last minute walk through with your van operator.
Make sure windows are closed, closets empty, lights out and doors
- Be available to check off items on the inventory as
they are removed from the van.
- Be present during unloading so that you may direct
the placement of your furniture in your new home.
- Check the condition of your belongings. If any items
are damaged or missing, note this on the inventory list and report
it to your destination agent so they can assist with the handling
back to top
To arrange for a free estimate on
a household or corporate relocation call us at 888-505-NAVL
888-505-NAVL (6285) | 225-753-3240
Home | Local Moves | Long
Distance | International
Moving Tips | Storage | Contact Us | About Us
© David Moving Company, Baton Rouge, LA